NO

Author Topic: Where's Pelle?  (Read 11332 times)

CommonTater

Where's Pelle?
« on: January 14, 2012, 08:29:31 AM »
I don't mean to seem overly impatient but nothing since April last year...

Shouldn't we be about due for RC5 or the release version?

Pelle is an amazing guy who's created a really great compiler... I truly appreciate everything he's done.
But the pace is a bit glacial, these days.

Offline Vortex

• http://www.vortex.masmcode.com
Re: Where's Pelle?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 10:55:26 AM »
Last active on June 16, 2011, 10:25:11 PM

I hope Pelle is OK and doing fine.
Code it... That's all...

CommonTater

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 11:24:54 AM »
Last active on June 16, 2011, 10:25:11 PM

I hope Pelle is OK and doing fine.

Me too.  I've chatted with him in the past and he seems like a really decent guy.

I'd just like to get on with it :D  Especially the optimizer bugs.

Funny thing though.  I've been compiling with optimizations off lately and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference... Perhaps it's just the type of code I write (mostly windows UI and random access files, with a bit of networking tossed in for good measure).  I don't know.

It's still the best C implementation going....

Offline Vortex

• http://www.vortex.masmcode.com
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 02:49:51 PM »
It's still the best C implementation going....

Hi CommonTater,

I agree with you.

Probably, Pelle is buisy with real life issues and has not much time to work on his development tool set.
Code it... That's all...

CommonTater

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 04:28:08 PM »
Probably, Pelle is buisy with real life issues and has not much time to work on his development tool set.

LOL... that's actually a good thing. 

So many programmers have no life... :(

shazam

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 10:59:40 PM »
Not to steal this thread  :o

New to C and just wondering since  the most recent candidate is 6.50 and dated Apr 17, 2011

Can we not expect any C11 features for some time?

Kinda feels like this IDE and Compiler has been abandoned  :'(

CommonTater

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 07:06:39 AM »
Not to steal this thread  :o

New to C and just wondering since  the most recent candidate is 6.50 and dated Apr 17, 2011

Can we not expect any C11 features for some time?

Kinda feels like this IDE and Compiler has been abandoned  :'(

Thing is nobody knows anything for sure at this point...

I'd suggest we not speculate about the project being abandoned.

As Vortex reminds us Pelles C is a one man operation, things have always progressed slowly, although not quite *this* slowly in the past.

As I was saying in the top of the thread, it's been quite a while.
I would really appreciate it if Pelle would drop by to give us some real information.

Given the complexity of compilers (probably the hardest coding task there is) it will be some time before C1X makes much penetration into the market... C99 took nearly 5 years and even now most compilers do not fully implement it.

Offline AlexN

• Global Moderator
    • Alex's Link Sammlung
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 11:54:33 AM »
Pelle tends to be absend for a long time. I think before he give us Pelles C 6.50 RC 1, he was absend for more then 1 year.
I think also that he reads the forum, but under an other name because in RC1 were errors corrected, which he couldn't  know, if he doesn't read the forum.

But this is only my personal opion.
best regards
 Alex ;)

Offline Stefan Pendl

• Global Moderator
    • Homepage
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 12:47:16 PM »
I think also that he reads the forum, but under an other name because in RC1 were errors corrected, which he couldn't  know, if he doesn't read the forum.
Don't forget Stefan (not me) the maintainer of the German mirror, who is responsible for this forum too.

I am using another one-man-show development environment, which suffers from the same quietness as Pelles C, but at the end of the development stage of the new release the developer gets louder.
---
Stefan

Proud member of the UltraDefrag Development Team

CommonTater

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 02:59:46 PM »
Pelle tends to be absend for a long time. I think before he give us Pelles C 6.50 RC 1, he was absend for more then 1 year.

He used to be quite active here... but times change things. 

If he's just reading... he doesn't need another name... we wouldn't know when he's here or not. 

Now if he's posting under a different name...
Well, that's a whole different story ...

Offline AlexN

• Global Moderator
    • Alex's Link Sammlung
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 10:05:23 AM »
If he's just reading... he doesn't need another name... we wouldn't know when he's here or not. 
That's not correct, if click on the name off any member, you get a page with some statistic of the member (Pelle visited this forum last at Juni 16, 2011, 09:25:11 pm).
best regards
 Alex ;)

CommonTater

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 10:18:07 AM »
That's not correct, if click on the name off any member, you get a page with some statistic of the member (Pelle visited this forum last at Juni 16, 2011, 09:25:11 pm).

Interesting... I knew about the profile pages but assumed "Last Active" was the last time someone posted. 

Ya learns somethin' new everyday :D

Offline AlexN

• Global Moderator
    • Alex's Link Sammlung
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 02:20:20 PM »
Interesting... I knew about the profile pages but assumed "Last Active" was the last time someone posted. 
I use german as language for the forum GUI and there stand the text "Letzter Besuch: ", which means "Last Visit" in English. Perhaps Christian translation to English was not so good. ;)
best regards
 Alex ;)

CommonTater

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 02:58:38 PM »
I use german as language for the forum GUI and there stand the text "Letzter Besuch: ", which means "Last Visit" in English. Perhaps Christian translation to English was not so good. ;)

Now I know, so no worries!

Still ... it's been about 6 months...

Offline Christian

• Administrator
    • http://www.pellesc.de
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2012, 03:31:18 PM »
Hi,

I just wanted to inform you that I talked with Pelle and he is fine. He is working on some nice enhancements, he just needs his time. But you can be sure, Pelles C isn't dead and he is still working on it.

Christian
www.pellesc.de - German PellesC mirror (now available in german and english)